Skip to main content
Official Travel Information
View more

Passport Information and Guidance

Traveling to the United States with a Canadian Passport

If you are planning to visit the United States, make sure all of your official travel documents are current, as you will need those to get in the country and return home.

Passport Requirements
All visitors from abroad who are planning to visit the USA must have a passport that is valid for at least six months longer than their intended stay in the U.S., unless they are exempted by country-specific agreements.

For families traveling together, each member of the family must have his or her own passport, including infants and children.

Automatic Passport Control/Mobile Passport Control
Automated Passport Control (APC) is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that expedites the entry process for U.S., Canadian and eligible Visa Waiver Program international travelers by providing an automated process through CBP’s Primary Inspection area. Using self-service kiosks to submit their customs declaration form and biographic information, travelers wait less time, avoid crowds and are processed much faster. See the CBP’s Automatic Passport Control webpage for more information.

Mobile Passport Control (MPC) allows eligible travelers to submit their passport information and customs declaration form via a smartphone or tablet prior to CBP inspection. Eligible travelers can download the Mobile Passport Control app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store

Lost/Stolen Passport

If your passport is lost or stolen, immediately report it to the police and contact your local consulate or embassy of your country of citizenship for a replacement. Most consulates have information on their websites for canceling a lost or stolen passport.