Skip to main content
Official Travel Information
View more

Land Border Crossings

Official Travel Information

For drivers to enter the U.S. by land from Canada, certain documents are required in addition to your passport and visa (if necessary):

  • Driver’s license. (Canadian licenses are enough. An International Driving Permit is a good idea and highly recommended.)
  • Registration paperwork for the vehicle.
  • Proof of liability insurance.


Travelers often arrive in the U.S. on registered cruise ships, but international visitors cannot simply come into the U.S. by private boat without reporting their arrival. Operators of small vessels arriving in the U.S. from a foreign port are required to report their arrival to CBP immediately.


Greyhound and Megabus offer cross-border transportation from Canada to the U.S., where custom officials will check those coming in on the buses. A valid passport is required for citizens to cross the border in either direction between the U.S. and Canada.

A guardian traveling with a child must provide proof of custody or notarized parental authorization for travel. An adult traveling with a child who is not the parent or guardian must have written permission from a parent or guardian to accompany the child across the border, including the name and contact information of the parent or guardian.